Why You Need A Cool Pair Of Sunglasses In Copperas Cove
We know that when you try on a pair of sunglasses from our Copperas Cove eyewear collection, your first criteria is to make sure they have the look you want. Our specialists at Cove Eye Care understand and agree with this, because if you are not thrilled with how your sunglasses appear – then you won’t keep them on your face.
However, we also want to point out that sunglasses offer much more than a fab fashion expression. They also protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays, which are at least 3x more intense during the summer season.
Even on a cloudy day, the Texas summer sun is powerful and threatens the health of your eye lens, retina, cornea, eyelid skin, and all ocular structures. Overexposure to UV rays can increase your risk of developing:
- Macular degeneration
- Photokeratitis – a painful burn on the surface of your outer eye
- Skin cancer of the eyelid and surrounding areas
- Ocular growths
- Various other age-related eye conditions
With such a scary list of sight-threatening conditions that are linked to spending time in the sun, it’s no wonder why we stock our Copperas Cove vision center with an amazing selection of sunglasses!
Sunscreen For Your Eyes Without the Mess
Sunglasses function as a way to block UV rays from reaching your eyes and the surrounding delicate skin, similar to how sunscreen prevents UV rays from damaging your skin cells. And just like sunscreen comes with SPF ratings to help you choose the best protection possible, sunglasses come with similar features.
When you purchase sunglasses for you and your family members to wear during the long and blazing days of summer in Copperas Cove, look for the following:
- Lenses that block 99-100% of UVA and UVB sun rays
- A good fit on your face. Close fitting frames that line up with your brow (wraparound are ideal) with wide lenses offer ultimate protection. A slight curvature to the lens will prevent from coming in through the sides.
- Lenses must be free of imperfections or distortions, and match each other exactly in color
- Gray lenses offer the best color vision recognition. Note that the degree of darkness and color of your sunglass lenses has no connection to their ability to block UV light. Also, polarized lenses may look sleek and reflective, but they have no impact on UV protection.
- Polycarbonate lenses are most appropriate for sports, because they are most durable and shatterproof
Little Eyes Need Big Protection
The effects of ultraviolet light rays on eyes are cumulative. That’s why kids, who generally spend more time outdoors than adults, need superior quality sunglasses.
Unfortunately, according to surveys conducted by the Academy of Ophthalmology, only about one third of all parents in the United States fit their children with sunglasses. Be smart – bring your kids to our Copperas Cove optical store to choose a pair of trendy sunglasses. It’s the best way to kid’s vision safe throughout the summer!
Bonus Benefits Of Sunglasses
Reducing the hazardous effects of UV radiation is the greatest health gain from wearing sunglasses, yet there are some fringe benefits too. Premium sunglass lenses can diminish glare, which can be blinding when you’re driving or biking.
Limiting your exposure to sunlight can also decrease wrinkles and help you keep your youthful skin! High-quality sunglasses lenses can also lower your risk of eyestrain, eye fatigue, and headaches, as they remove your need to walk around Copperas Cove squinting in the dazzling sunlight.
Looking for more tips on how to keep your vision safe in the sun? Stop by Cove Eye Care to speak with our staff and check out our sensational sunglasses collection.